SELECTED LECTURE ON ATMAKARAKA- 2nd YEAR OF STUDY- UPDATED!!!
“ In the previous sessions, we have defined the philosophy of Atma and Atman, explained the types of Bandana and chakras, and different concepts of Atma bandana, such as Atma dvitiya, Atma tritya etc.
The concepts of the colours of the Atma and diffusion of natural pure light as pertaining to the concept of the sin has also been explained.
Through understanding of the concept of Varahamihira and his shlokas on conception, we may understand that the influence of society, parents etc is very little, and that the nature of the atma has been defined by the previous karma.
In each horoscope there is a planet known asa Atma (divine soul trapped into the 8 types of bondage) and Karaka-(movable significator) which has to do with the functioning of the 8 chakra including the role of Somanath (please go through the previous lectures). Such graha is termed ATMAKARAKA
Atmakaraka is the most important planet in a chart. It is the King of the chart, and happy King shows happy kingdom and vice versa. Lagna is intelligence, while Chandra shows the mind. They are of secondary importance in comparison to Atmakaraka.
Atma decides on the mind it will take, defines the body, structure and its functions, and thus it becomes the most important planet among all planets and Lagnas.
Atmakaraka therefore, shows the karma which caused our birth. This graha brought us into this plane, and forced Atma to take a certain mind and body.
It brought us to this planet to teach us certain lessons. This graha shows the “ lightning and storms” of Indra Devata( please go through the session of 33 devas from the 1st year)
|The following points are crucial when analyzing Atmarakaraka graha:1. Significations and other features of Graha which is Atmakaraka2. Bhavas ruled by Atmakaraka
3. Bhava where Atmakaraka is placed
4. Bhava/s/ whose Atmakaraka is Naisarghik Karaka
5. The position and status of Atmakaraka in a rashi or sign
6. The link of Atmakaraka with Grahas conjoined or those which aspect/ or are aspected by it
7. The position of planets and houses from Atmakaraka Lagna in Rashi chart. This lagna is known as Karaka Lagna
8. Bhava Arudhas associated with Atmakaraka or those ruled by it etc
Let us go step by step:
THE ANALYSES OF THE FIRST STEP
Observe the guna and tatva of Atmakaraka. This guna and Tatva will show the path and type of soul cleansing and its experience.
Each graha and charakaraka tends to merge into Ketu, moksha karaka graha. As long as there is any type of bandana associated with Atmakaraka, a person cannot attain moksha. Thus, to reach moksha, Ketu has to turn atmakaraka graha into a smoke.
Atmakaraka indicates that the light of our soul (as moon) has overshadowed the light of Atman. This happens due to Ahamkara. In such significations and positions we cannot or refuse to accept the light of God, while at the same time perceive our own light. It is similar to a night time, where we can observe the moon's light only, not realizing or observing that such light is only the reflection of the true light of Sun.
It is for that reason that the soul is cleansed from its sins, and God teaches us to break the shell of bandana, so that Atma can becoma the pure Atman.
Note the following:
1. We tend to identify with significations of Atmakaraka as our own nature
2. Atmakaraka turning into a smoke by Ketu is a very painful process, and it will take place through that particular guna, bhava etc.
3. All relevant information about grahas from the 1st year are crucial in case of graha being atmakaraka.
ATMAKARAKA AS A NATURAL MALEFIK OR BENEFIK
1. We have seen in the 1st year sessions that the colours of natural benefics on the soul level are light. The very fact that the light colour does not imbibe or better to say rejects a considerable quantity of light, indicates that natural benefik as Atmakarak does not easily follow the path of self-purification nor gives the chance for easy and fast Self-realization.
2. Please keep in mind that Grahas conjoined Atmakaraka tend to absorb the nature of Atmakaraka, and pleas apply the rules you have been taught for conjunctions of the planets.
3. When benefic graha is Atmakaraka and undergoes a Graha shapa or curse, it shows that the papa or sins has been glued to a soul for a few lifetimes.
4. If atmakaraka is a malefic planet, it can teach you bad things, but you will receive instant and quick punishment, and suffering. This gives chance to quickly cleanse and learn the lesson. So, the soul cleansing becomes very painful, the soul remains in the dark, and desires for light and savour (similar as dark colour quickly absorbs the light) When malefic is Atmakaraka and there comes intense soul purification and pain the effect is often twofold:
a-) a person devolops hatred and bitterness towards the world (Sun) and becomes self destruction and antisocial
b-) a person accepts suffering as a hand of God and becomes very spiritual
There are certiain rules which show whether will person go either way....
"A FEW MORE CONCEPTS ABOUT ATMAKARAKA"
I have given some concepts about Atmakaraka graha on this site without going into specific indications of each planet as Atmakarak.
Pt. Sanjay Rath, my Jyotish Guru wrote a lot about this in his books, as well as various articles and conferences available on the net.
However He writes the following in one of his articles/lessons:
“ The reason for lack of spiritual initiation is to be known from planets in Karakamsha”
This implies the following:
- See the planet which is Atmakaraka
- See the conjunctions of Atmakaraka in navamsa chart and consider these planets too.
If Sun or Mars is Atmakarak or Atmakarak is conjoined with Sun or Mars in Navamsa Chart a person will lack spirituality and may miss the opportunity to get good knowledge due to THEIR OWN EGO!
If Moon or Venus becomes Atmakarak or Atmakarak is conjoined with Venus or Moon in Navamsa chart, this shows luxurious nature and sexual weakness/indulgences/ as a lack of spirituality, knowledge and guidance
If the same happens with Budha, greed is a big obstacle. Shani in the same place, or Atmakarak conjoined Shani in navamsa chart, shows mere laziness and overconfidence.
Nodes in the same places are master of confusion, fraud (Rahu Atmakaraka), and mistakes and bellicose activities (Ak yuti Ketu as Ketu cannot be Ak Graha), while Guru is Atmakarak is among the worst positions since there will always be a lack of bonding between the student and teacher, and a person will be insincere in relationship with Guru and knowledge, and consider himself his own master. Interesting point is that these people often "nod"but actually never listen as they wish to hear sound of their own opinion in your voice.
Malefics as atmakaraka are better for speedier evolution, since the punishment is quick, while unless Ista Devata is favourable in the chart, malefic as atmakarak can lead a person astry. However, If Ishta Devata does not favour, and Guru and Lagna are afflicted, such AK punishment will leave bitter experience in the soul, and a person wills start hating the world, and do bad karma as per the significations of Atmakaraka planet... to be continued...